Saturday, November 17, 2012

Mini album ornament


I saw a mini hexagon album ornament, but could not find instructions, so came up with my own version. Guess that is what crafting is all about anyway. So, I hope you enjoy it.

First create your hexagon pattern for the size that you want your ornament. You can use one you already have or here is how I created mine, which is about 2". Cut from scrap paper 2 1/8" x 1 7/8". Fold this in half, then in half again. Placing the single fold to the left and the double fold to the bottom, mark the center of the top. Then cut from the bottom right corner to the center mark and unfold. This will give you a hexagon.

Now to create your album pattern, trace around the hexagon, then trace a hexagon around this center one. You should have a circle of six connected hexagons. Cut this out around the outer lines, then cut between two of the hexagons and cut out the center. This is the pattern you will use for your album, cutting from Designer Series Paper. I used Be Of Good Cheer (126896). Accordian fold where the hexagons meet to create your album pages.

Cut two more hexagons from coordinating cardstock (Gumball Green here). Thread an 8" piece of string threw a small button and glue the ends to the backs of the album, then glue the hexagons to the front and back of the album. You can then slide the button down to close and up to open your album.

For my sample I created a larger hexagon (2 3/4" x 2 3/8") and attached it to the back. To the front I added another designer piece, then a smaller one (1 5/8" x 1 1/2") to decorate. I added Dazzling Details (124117) and Cherry Cobbler (125585).

Here is what the inside looks like:

 
For my sample, I also taped the back pages together, but you could leave them open to add more pics.
 
Then I decided it needed a bit more, so I cut a 1" x 12" strip from Silver Glimmer Paper (124005) and scored it at every 1/4". Glue dot the ends together and form a circle. Attach this to another larger hexagon (to hide the back) and attach it to the back of your ornament. Then it looked like this:



I plan to make one for each of my grandchildren based on their favorite colors.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment