12x12 cardstock (color wanted for the album)
8 1/2 x 11 matching card stock
12x12 Designer Series Paper (great way to use up those leftover sheets)
Contrasting color of card stock for closing strip
Cut the 12x12 cardstock into three strips of 4" x 12".
Score at 3", 6", and 9".
Fold scores to the center, then back fold the center to create a W shape.
Run a strip of sticky strip along the bottom and outside edge of the center panel. Press the
center panels together. (This will form a pocket with the opening towards the top.)
Repeat for all three strips.
On the front panel of one piece, place sticky strip on the top, bottom and along the fold. Making sure that the pockets created on each piece are towards the top, press the back panel of a second piece to this front panel. This will give you a side opening panel. Repeat the same thing for the the back panel and the last piece, creating your book. This will give you top opened pockets and side opened pockets.
To form the cover, cut a 6 1/4" x 4" from the other piece of cardstock. Place sticky tape around the front of the booklet and press one end of the new strip onto the book, lining up the edges. Place sticky strip on the back piece of the booklet. Bend the cover around, line up the edges and press down. The spine will be covered but not taped/glued.
(This picture shows how it looks before pressing the cover completely down.)
Cut 12 pieces from the DSP, measuring 2 7/8" x 3 7/8". Glue one to each of the inside pages and the front cover. Do NOT cover the back yet. ( I left the inside covers blank so if you want yours covered, you will need two more pieces.)
To create the notches so that we can pull the cards out, I used a 1" circle punch. Mine won't punch through all the layers, so I slipped the narrow piece into the pocket about half way and punched out the notch.
For the other side, line the punch up with the notch you just created.
You now have notches to make it easier to pull out the cards that will be inserted for more pictures or journaling.
The pocket cards are 2 3/8" x 3 3/8", cut from the remainder cardstock. I left mine plain for journaling, but you could stamp on yours or mat them with DSP also. I also rounded the corners on the one end that would be at the outside of the pocket. You could also add ribbons to the ends to pull out.
Now for the closure: You could use a ribbon or belly band, but I chose to use a piece of very thin Velcro. Here is a picture of the product that I used:
From the contrasting cardstock, cut a piece at 3/4" x 3", rounding one end. Place sticky strip on the opposite end of the piece and press onto the back cover.
Place the last piece of DSP onto the back, covering the attached strip. Leaving the Velcro pieces together, place a piece on the rounded end. Remove the remaining protective strip and fold over to the front, pressing it into place. REMEMBER to not pull tightly around so that there is room for the book to expand with pictures and memorabilia.
I hope you enjoyed this project and will give it a try. I would love to hear from you. Change up the DSP, add stamped images and/or embellishments. I would love to see what you come up with. I have several ideas in my head, personalizing each one for the recipient. Mother's Day and Graduation are fast approaching.
Have a great day and thank you so much for stopping by!